Yohanan Ben Zakai’s Sephardic Synagogue in Jerusalem, 1893. Via +972Mag.
The Yochanan ben Zakai Sephardic Synagogue is located in the Jewish Quarter of the Old City of Jerusalem. The building was constructed by 1610, and it became the largest synagogue of the Sephardic community by 1947. According to legend, the synagogue stands on the area of the Beit Midrash of the tanna Rabban Yochanan ben Zakai who established the Sanhedrin in Yavneh after the destruction of the Second Temple.